Friday, September 5, 2008

Open Letter to the McCain/Palin Ticket

Open Letter to the McCain/Palin Ticket

At this point I will not be voting for your ticket, but I want to leave open some questions that will give you the option of removing my concerns and allowing me to reconsider my vote. These are in no prioritized order, simply a list of important concerns in a random order.

1. Mostly for Governor Palin, but a concern for you both - I worry about the issue of those who would ban books. I worry about any censorship in my home (or community services like libraries), when that censorship comes from others outside my home. I do not want to argue one book or another, ANY book should not be banned, burned, or suppressed. If I choose to read or not read "The Catcher In The Rye", this is up to me. I absolutely refuse to force someone else to read any book, it is not my place. But, I also absolutely refuse to accept someone else banning a book for me, it is not their place. This is not a qualitative statement or negotiable. An assurance that "The Catcher In The Rye" is not on a target list is not adequate. NO book should be banned. Nazi's burned books and I have an openly acknowledged prejudice that I view all book burners as resembling Nazis. So, Senator and Governor, can you assure me that voting for you would result in a constitutional philosophy I could live with?

2. A famous Republican was quoted as promising to 'get government off our backs.' I basically think this is a good ideal to work toward. However, I have concerns that come from both of you about what it means to get off my back. I have heard that both of you would limit (or even ban?) birth control medicines and devices. Specifically, I have heard that both of you would move to limit or ban condom use, even among married couples.

Now, I am very worried that it appears you may condone climbing into my bedroom in spite of, or because of, the concept of 'getting government off my back.' I fail to see how banning birth control gets government off my back. Does the ticket have any wisdom to impart to me about how I will personally be better served by a ban on birth control medicine and devices?

3. I am extraordinarily worried about the condition of our national security as it is portrayed by your ticket. I hear repeatedly from your ticket that 'the Surge worked and that your opponent refuses to acknowledge this.' You would think it would be a stretch that this makes me worry about national security. But my concern is the interpretation of 'success.' My memory is that the Surge was designed to accomplish a reduction in the violence and thirteen (13) major points, like agreement on sharing oil profits, local elections, some very specific legal actions, etc.

These 13 points were determined to be essential to the effort of the Surge and actually having impact on our national security. It is my understanding, that your ticket has completely abandoned those 13 points. This makes me concerned for your ticket's tenacity in following up on our national security. Your opponent has freely admitted that the violence was reduced by the Surge, but views the other 13 points that have not been successfully addressed as constituting important influences on our national security. When future lists of national security objectives are defined, will meeting just one or just some of the listed objectives be all it takes to satisfy your administration?

What can you tell me to help me better understand your ticket's commitment to national security?

4. Probably mostly for Senator McCain, but also Governor Palin to some extent: The final concern I have to request help understanding is about the economy in general and specifically about health care. I do not feel that you understand what it is like to have health care not be available to me, today. I am not talking about the end of the next administration, I mean today. I do not mean tomorrow or next week. I have chronic issues that need to be managed and I have waited for years and years and heard Presidents say, we will fix the market and it will happen. It hasn't happened. It has gotten worse. In the early 90's it was a serious problem when over 15 million people were without adequate health care and we have reduced that number to 47 million today! WHAT!?!?

Waiting for the market to adjust and for insurance companies and health care providers to do the right thing has not worked for the last 16 years. I have NO belief that it will work any time soon. Senator, you are covered by Medicare, VA, and Congressional health plans. If I lose my job, I will be bankrupt. This is a disconnect and I do not see how you can possibly understand - or care about - my situation.

What can your ticket tell me that will help me feel that a vote for you on November 4th will improve my situation on January 20th?

I am sincere in stating that I do not believe that either ticket will substantially help with my concerns on January 20th, 2009. But I will listen to both tickets. I intend to write a similar open letter to the Democratic ticket next week.

-jb

0 comments: