Saturday, September 27, 2008

One Debate Down

So you understand my perspective, I watch virtually all of both conventions, virtually every primary debate for both (or all) parties, and all the presidential and vice presidential debates during the campaign. I expect a lot from both parties and almost always feel disappointed by each party. This is just how I feel about politics as it is practiced in our country these days.

This submission will do two things today. First, I will say what I like about debates and second, I will share what I dislike most about debates. I think that what I share will be examplar of what I think of the campaign process.

  • I Like: I particularly like seeing candidates respond when it is clear that they need to 'think on their feet' - when a question is not too well rehearsed and requires the development of an actual idea and the words to express the idea.
  • I Dislike: I particularly dislike attacks or negative comparisons. An utterance that begins with "Unlike my opponent, who is in favor of people starving ..." has lost my respect immediately. And a statement like "My opponent can not possibly be [reasonable, patriotic, American, believed, or ...], but I can" turns me off.

So, last night, who best thought on their feet? I thought both candidates did well at quick thinking. I did think Senator McCain sometimes went to the well of History too often. I wish he would frame talk of Viet Nam era events in the light of ill-concieved and badly-administered war. I could never dimish the cost the senator paid, but that cost was not a down payment on the presidency. If that were the case, fellow-hero Jeremiah Denton may be in line with or even ahead of John McCain.

I thought that mainly based on his speaking ability, Senator Obama was very ableto think on his feet - to the surprise of few. However, I wish that the senator had capitalized on his opportunity by being able to dive to specifics. I am still a fan of the pre-"Change" mantra, "Hope", and wish there were more specifics of plans that will bring Hope. We have all endured eight recent years punctuated with fear and hate. Others may not, but I certainly need release from fear and hate and I need a reason to hope.

In the area of my dislikes, I think both senators launched attacks. But, I believe that Senator McCain did more and 'lower' attacks - and he did them in a manner that infers he is more patriotic than Senator Obama.

So, how can a candidate 'fight back', you might ask? What I consider to be a 'fair' fight-back happened when SenatorMcCain used a segment form his stub speech where he indicates a bracelet (from the mother of a deceased soldier) that he wears in honor of a fallen soldier - with his promise to the mother to not let her son have died in vain. Later, Senator Obama indicated that he, too, wore the bracelet for a fallen soldier - a bracelet also given by a mother, with the plea to not let anothe mother go through what she was going through.

So, all in all, I think the debate was essentially a technical tie. But on tie-breakers, Obama was more 'Presidential' by being less petty. And, the real victory might turn out to be that Senator Obama appeared to undecideds like a very reasonable and intelligent human, equally patriotic, that cares about his country just as much as Senator McCain, even if through differing strategies.

Bottom line. Become informed, get registered, and vote VOTE VOTE!

-jb

0 comments: