Monday, June 2, 2008

Senator Clinton, It Has Now Become "Not Now, And Not Ever"

An Open Letter to Senator Hillary Clinton.

Senator Clinton,

To be perfectly honest, you were never my first choice, and maybe not even a rational second choice. I began this nomination season supporting (former) Senator Edwards and continue to wish he was still part of the potential November ticket. Senator Obama came to my attention very favorably through his address to the 2004 convention. My wife and I tried to watch all speeches of both conventions and his was head and shoulders above all the others. By the way, former Senator Frist was far and away one of the worst speeches I have ever endured. After Senator Obama's speech, I commented that that man will be President of the United States one day, probably thinking 2012, 2016, or further in the future.

When he emerged as a viable candidate this year, Senator Obama was an easy favorite when things didn't go well for Senator Edwards. I voted and caucused for Senator Obama and I support his candidacy.


All of the preceding explains that you were never my first choice and, at best, you were a second or third choice I would not be disappointed about.

However, your behavior as a Democrat in the face of a November show-down, your personal attacks on fellow Democrats (reference Ronald Reagan's 'commandment'), your refusal to accept the math and unite with the party, and your inconsistency (every vote in Florida, but deny votes in parts of Texas?) - these issues all make me feel that you are 100% committed to one thing and one thing only: personal power.

Service to this country is not about personal power, it is about personal servanthood. I can now clearly state that I will not vote for you, "Not Now, And Not Ever."

-jb

0 comments: